Scitech offers hands-on curriculum-linked design and engineering challenges for schools visiting Tinkering Space in Rio Tinto Innovation Central.
Tinkering Space School Workshops
Years 7 - 12
Students will be presented with an open-ended design and engineering problem and construct their own prototype using the innovation cycle of Need, Think, Make, Try and Refine. They will be guided to manage resources carefully, consider the physical properties of their materials, and use innovative design thinking to build and improve their creation to meet the needs of the challenge.
- • Students will engage in the process of innovation: Need, Think, Make, Try and Refine by working collaboratively on an open-ended problem that requires innovative STEM-based solutions.
- •To demonstrate to students that STEM innovation is critical to our social and economic future.
Western Australian Curriculum links - Design and Technologies
Knowledge and Understanding
• Technologies and Society
• Engineering Principles and Systems
Processes and Production skills
• Producing and Implementing
• Collaborating and Managing