Science After School is a joint initiative between Scitech and Woodside. It provides opportunities beyond the classroom to practice and enhance knowledge and skills whilst increasing awareness of the relevance of science and technology to our everyday lives. We cater to schools, libraries and community groups.
Please note: if you are a parent looking to book your child into a workshop you are in the wrong place. Please refer to the events section of website where workshops will be listed.
Make ‘n’ Take | Years 3-6 | 1-4 week series
Scientific concepts are explored as participants design and engineer their own take-home contraptions.
There are four Make 'n' Take workshops available:
• Air surfers: discover the forces involved in flight as we design and make our own flying contraptions.
• Fizzy things: what happens when you mix an acid with a base? Find out the answer as we make lava lamps and rocket fuel.
• Jitterbug: learn about electrical energy and circuitry as we engineer our own jittering toy.
• Slimy science: liquid, solid or gas? This chemistry workshop gets you thinking about the states of matter while we make slime.
TM Robotics | Years 3-6 | 1-4 week series
Explore the fascinating world of robotics and computer programming using Edison™ robots. Students will learn how sensors work and how to program a robot.
• Barcode programming: What is the difference between a robot and a machine? Students find out the answer to this question and learn how to scan barcode programs for the Edison robots
• Computer programming: This introduction to computer programming will have students learning how to get a robot to follow a line, play music and detect obstacles
• Robot art: Students will learn how to program their robot to create art using maths and loops
• Engineering robots: Using LEGO™ Technic students will build a digger to pick up LEGO™ pieces.
Animatronics | Years 5-6 | 5 week series
This STEM based series of workshops using the Hummingbird robotics kits encourage students to explore coding and robotics from Scratch. Students will construct an Animatronic robot using recycled materials and program it to react to a stimulus. This series will inspire creative and critical thinking across curricula.
• Introduction: Students are introduced to animatronics and discover how to connect and program LED lights. They are guided through the design process to determine what they will be building over the series.
• Make it move: Students will connect motors and servos and learn how to program them using Scratch. Time permitting students are encouraged to commence construction of robots.
• Inputs: Students learn how to connect sensors, attaching them to their robots and programming them to react to a stimulus.
• Final touches: This is the last week in which students finish building their robots and writing their code.
• Showcase: Parents are invited to come and see what their children have built over the series in this showcase event.
10 week technology series are now available to book for Year 5 students. The series will include 10 x 60 minute workshops and use a combination of Edison robotics and Animatronics. For more information please call 9215 0741 or email email@example.com.
|Duration of workshop||Cost of workshop|
Bookings and information
To enquire or make a booking for Science After School, please call 9215 0741 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.