Scitech is involved in a range of Education Projects throughout the year thanks to its partners and supporters.
- Alcoa Maths Enrichment Program
Thanks to: Alcoa
Scitech delivers a range of successful mathematics PL programs, especially focused on inquiry. Offered at no cost to the school, these fully funded programs aim to:
• Increase student engagement and confidence in maths, by incorporating creativity, play and connection to the real world.
• Improve teacher capacity to deliver maths content in a rich, engaging and effective way.
• Improve parent attitudes towards maths learning, through connecting them to their children's learning.
• Support teacher collaboration within their school network.
The mode of delivery:
1. A year-long intensive Alcoa Maths Enrichment Program working with even primary schools in the Harvey-Peel region. This program incorporates working with the parents in an information session, and a family engagement event in order to provide additional information on ways to integrate maths learning into everyday life.
This program is fully booked for 2018.
2. A 1 term Alcoa Maths Enrichment Program - Lite. This is available in Term 2, 3 and 4 of 2018 and consists of:
• A two hour workshop for participating teachers, demonstrating current best practices in maths teaching. Hands-on activities, discussion of main principles and connection to resources for further learning.
• Access to a selection of five WA curriculum-linked rich maths projects incorporating multiple topics. Schools will also be given an allocation of $800 to purchase resources for running the projects.
• A one hour consultation for each teacher with a Scitech Professional Learning Consultant.
• A family maths evening comprised of information for parents on engaging with maths with their children, and a maths murder mystery challenge.
• A two hour reflection workshop for participating teachers with other participating schools, and a written report for your school.
Expressions of interest are currently open for Terms 3 and 4.
Both programs are aimed at teachers of years 4 and 5, but can be suitable for years 3 and 6. Scitech would work with up to four teachers in your school.
- Chevron Pilbara Teacher Support
Thanks to: Chevron
Scitech works closely with teachers in the Karratha region to raise the profile of STEM in their schools, and improve the capacity of local teachers to deliver exciting lessons in science, technology, engineering and maths. This multi-year program aims to increase confidence and STEM leadership amongst primary and secondary teachers.
- STEM Learning Project
Working in partnership with: ECAWA, MAWA, STAWA and Scitech
The STEM Learning Project has been established to deliver a range of innovative STEM teaching resources that take a problem based learning approach. The resources align with the Western Australian Curriculum including the General Capabilities. The resources will support teachers to teach STEM in an integrative way from Kindergarten to Year 12. The resources have been developed with input from Western Australian school teachers and will be available from the Department of Education’s portal.
- Primary Science Lab Teacher Support Program
Working in partnership with: Vekta
In support of the State Government initiative, Scitech in 2018 will deliver a series of professional development experiences tailored to building science skills, confidence and understanding in primary teachers. These intensive hands-on sessions are aimed at enhancing teacher capacity in science and STEM in participating schools, as well as schools hoping to set-up their own lab space. Teachers are provided with diverse resources, practical support and networking opportunities to enhance their capabilities, enrich science and STEM learning for their students, and break the cycle of disengagement.
If you’d like to be involved with any of these education projects in 2018, please contact us.