Mix and Make – Chemical Sciences Show and Workshop
Science can happen in all sorts of places. From the kitchen to the bathroom, students explore what happens when we combine different things – both following a recipe and making up some of their own.
It’s a fun and lively show, mixing explanation with interactive demonstrations to showcase different scientific processes. And just how relevant science is to everyday life.
Students continue to mix and make back in the kitchen. Ingredients are provided but there is a catch: we will change the amount of one ingredient and observe how it affects our mixture. Student scientists will watch their experiment change at each step using their eyes, hands, ears and nose, but their mouths at the teacher’s discretion.
Early Years Learning Framework Outcomes
- Children are confident and involved learners
- Children are effective communicators
Western Australian Curriculum links
- Science Inquiry Skills: Questioning and predicting, Planning and Conducting, Evaluating, and Communicating
- Science Understanding: Chemical sciences
- Science as a Human Endeavour
Show: 30 minutes
Workshop: 30 minutes
Kindergarten – Year 3