Be a Volunteer
Are you excited by STEM and wide-eyed about the world around you?
Scitech Sciguide Volunteers come from all walks of life, but have one thing in common: the curiosity to ask “why?”
Scitech are looking for friendly, outgoing people aged 16 years and over, who have a passion for STEM, great communication skills and can commit to a minimum of six hours per month.
What is a Sciguide?
Scitech Sciguides use our interactive exhibits to interpret and communicate science with Scitech visitors, enhancing their Scitech experience and assisting Scitech to achieve its mission of increasing awareness, interest, capability and participation by all Western Australians in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Sciguides may also be called on to present science demonstrations or activities and work on special projects or programs.
- The role of a Sciguide also includes the following general requirements;
- Welcomes visitors to the Discovery Centre and assists with general enquiries,
- Engages with visitors throughout the Discovery Centre galleries and exhibits.
- Participates where required, in exhibition and presentation content training.
- Where required, assists science presentation staff in preparing for and/or presenting content.
- Assists and adheres to emergency procedures and instructions.
- Participates in organisation, site and role specific training, as required.
- Assists, where required with supporting and mentoring new volunteers.
What is in it for you?
Although being a Sciguide is an unpaid role, that doesn’t mean you aren’t looked after! Aside from engaging with a dynamic and exciting interactive environment, you will also have the opportunity to meet some great like-minded people. Plus, all Scitech Sciguides receive 10 free entry passes to the Scitech Discovery Centre in West Perth and are included in a number of special events and promotions throughout the year.
Once you have submitted your application, you will be contacted by our People and Culture Team to give you information about our next Volunteer information session. Volunteer information sessions are run 4 times a year and will introduce you to the life of a Sciguide. After attending an information session, if you are still eager to jump onboard, you will then be asked to apply for a Working With Children Check (Scitech will reimburse you for the $11 application fee) and undertake a probation period of 3 months, during which, a minimum of 21 hours of volunteering must be undertaken. During the early stages of your probation you will have the opportunity to be buddied with an experienced Sciguide who will help to show you the ropes. Once your probation has been completed you will be welcomed to the team as a fully-fledged Sciguide!
If you still have questions, please contact Scitech’s People and Culture Team on 08 9215 0700 or firstname.lastname@example.org