Scitech is committed to ensuring its website is available to the widest possible audience, including readers using assistive technology or accessibility features.
Our website aims to conform to level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 developed by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
The Centre for Accessibility was commissioned to undertake a site audit in October 2019. The results of this audit will be investigated over the following months. Our aim is to continually test and improve the website.
Content on this website – including headings, body text, listed content, content in tables – is formatted using HTML coding as prescribed by WCAG. Semantic heading structures are used.
Images and graphics
The content of all images and graphics is described in alt text, which appears when a cursor/on focus sits on an image.
The layout of content on each page is controlled by Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
Wherever possible, hyperlinks contain descriptions of information found in the link’s destination.
The following list details some of the site-wide navigation features that improve the overall accessibility of this site.
- The primary navigation system are menus that provide quick and easy access to the site’s major content areas.
- The top menus provide access to the main subsections of the website.
- A ‘Skip to content’ link is available for users using text-only browsers such as lynx or screenreaders. This link is at the top of the page and allows you to skip directly to the content without having to scroll past the site navigation and headers.
- Tab-based navigation is available for people to tab directly from the top of the page to main navigation, main content and the search function.
- To navigate to a link that is active press enter.
- When navigating to a main menu item, its associated sub menu items will be displayed automatically
- Pressing enter on a sub menu item will navigate to that page
- To navigate in reverse hold ‘shift’ as you press tab
To change the text size hold down the Ctrl key (Microsoft Windows) or the Apple key (Mac OS X) on your keyboard and use the + or – key, or scroll with your mouse wheel.
Where possible, we have made our content available in HTML format.
However, to assist users to download, print and share web content, some documents are available in Portable Document Format (PDF). To access PDF files download the free Acrobat Reader.
Please contact us if you need information from the website presented in an alternative format for accessibility reasons.